• Hey Guest, we're evolving the future of TeaSpeak.
    You're invited to join the discussion here!

DDR2 vs DDR3

mola19

Fanatic member
Premium User
This has nothing to do with TS3 but I hope you can give me some advice, I'm thinking of buying a physical server, and with my budget I have two options.

Old server:
RAM: 128Gb DDR2 800Mhz
Processor: 4 processors xeon quad core 2.2Ghz
(4 processors x 4 cores = 16 cores 2.2Ghz)
Disk: 500Gb SAS

New server:
RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
Processor: i7 (4 cores / 8 threads 3.4Ghz)
Disk: 120Gb SSD

Both have the same price, but I see the old server better because it has 128Gb of RAM and twice as many cores.

What would recommend me to buy?
Will the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 be much?

Greetings.

yamano

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
TeaTeam
The problem is not the ram memoy.
You've to look into the Highest Cpu GHz, not the core number or ram quantity ;)

Second machine is better to teaspeak or any kind of gamehosting because each core has 3,4GHz.
Use proxmox, create like 4 containers (1 musicbots, 1 teaspeak, 1 gameserver, 1 webhost.. for example..)
Almost every single game server is optimized to use siglecore and not multicore, so...
I do prefer less cores and more GHz than more cores and less GHz ;)

mkll11one

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
TeaTeam
I agree with @yamano

But it's up to yourself, what you will "run/setup" on the server.
//But, it depends, what you need the "server" for.

If it's gameserver like CSGO, (2.6ghz is required as basic for match-server!)

As an example, I taking to Germany (June month) for setup i9-9900X or some Xeon Server. ;-)

WolverinDEV

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
Administrator
The problem is not the ram memoy.
You've to look into the Highest Cpu GHz, not the core number or ram quantity ;)

Second machine is better to teaspeak or any kind of gamehosting because each core has 3,4GHz.
Use proxmox, create like 4 containers (1 musicbots, 1 teaspeak, 1 gameserver, 1 webhost.. for example..)
Almost every single game server is optimized to use siglecore and not multicore, so...
I do prefer less cores and more GHz than more cores and less GHz ;)
You're in general right, except with the multi core thing you're only partially right there :)
Most game servers are designed so that they're using one thread for most of the heavy task, but there are still some tasks sourced out to other threads. So the best option there is to grant at least two cores for such games that the less intensive tasks could be computed on the second core and the intensive task could be computed on the other core without a need for interruptions.

So in general, as already pointed out: If you want to offer game server related services, or ofc want to host your own game server on it the second server is better.
If you're going into computing power the first one is recommend, even when the ram is a bit old and slow.

Side note:
Ram speeds are sometimes even more important then CPU because if you're accessing the RAM a lot it will slow dont your process.
This adoption will ofc only be true if you're accessing a lot of "cold" memory.

Disclaimer:
This is not a quality verified answer and might not be 100% correct.

mola19

Fanatic member
Premium User
Thank you very much for the advices: @yamano @mkll11one @WolverinDEV

The exact processors are: "4 x Xeon E7320 2.13Ghz" and "Intel® Core™ i7-2600"

The only game I'll open in the minecraft server is that according to the tests I've done, it needs a lot more RAM than the processor, besides that when using java it is ready to use all the cores no matter how many, apart from that I open several web pages and SQL servers and automated browser bots for youtube.

Greetings.

mkll11one

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
TeaTeam
What I know, if you are run craftbukkit or paper. Remember, so long the tps(tickrate for MC) is around 20. Which means it's stable of performance. :)

yamano

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
TeaTeam
You're in general right, except with the multi core thing you're only partially right there :)
Most game servers are designed so that they're using one thread for most of the heavy task, but there are still some tasks sourced out to other threads. So the best option there is to grant at least two cores for such games that the less intensive tasks could be computed on the second core and the intensive task could be computed on the other core without a need for interruptions.

So in general, as already pointed out: If you want to offer game server related services, or ofc want to host your own game server on it the second server is better.
If you're going into computing power the first one is recommend, even when the ram is a bit old and slow.

Side note:
Ram speeds are sometimes even more important then CPU because if you're accessing the RAM a lot it will slow dont your process.
This adoption will ofc only be true if you're accessing a lot of "cold" memory.

Disclaimer:
This is not a quality verified answer and might not be 100% correct.
yeah, i've 100+ game servers online, and i can say that multi thread optimization is really bad at least in unreal engine developed games.
I've been using two 4.2GHz+ processors (i7 7700k and i7 6700k @ 5.0GHz (OC)) to host unreal engine games (Ark: Survival Evolved, Conan Exiles, ATLAS, Battalion 1944...) ---» I can say that even at 5.0GHz unreal engine games will always need more and more xD
To host Csgo, CsSource, Cs1.6, minecraft, unturned, rust, etc basically any "garbage" cpu will be sufficient ;)

Last edited:

mkll11one

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
TeaTeam
yeah, i've 100+ game servers online, and i can say that multi thread optimization is really bad at least in unreal engine developed games.
I've been using two 4.2GHz+ processors (i7 7700k and i7 6700k @ 5.0GHz (OC)) to host unreal engine games (Ark: Survival Evolved, Conan Exiles, ATLAS, Battalion 1944...) ---» I can say that even at 5.0GHz unreal engine games will always need more and more xD
To host Csgo, CsSource, Cs1.6, minecraft, unturned, rust, etc basically any "garbage" cpu will be sufficient ;)
I agree. but I remember valve did updated small steamlinux_client files for CSGO Server, where it should running "smooth" on multi-thread" but I'm not 100% sure about it.

//About the Rust, it's running fine with 50slots on an E3-1245v2 with 2x 240GB SSD(raid1)

I can max running (as for example, 20 csgoservers for 1 core each. like i9-9900X) incl custom-kernel, so it's running smooth. :D

I'm already under "dealing" with a datacenter, called "interwerk". :D