• Hey Guest, we're evolving the future of TeaSpeak.
    You're invited to join the discussion here!

Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leprechaun

Hi to all,
I have a couple of question...

1) TeaSpeak is Open Source?
2) The server is made by reverse of the official or are writed from scratch?
3) Why the maximum slots are 250? (yatqa not permit to set more than 250)
4) Ghost listener system? How work this? No documentation...

Hi to all,
I have a couple of question...

1) TeaSpeak is Open Source?
2) The server is made by reverse of the official or are writed from scratch?
3) Why the maximum slots are 250? (yatqa not permit to set more than 250)
4) Ghost listener system? How work this? No documentation...
Hello @Leprechaun,

there is a maximum of 254 slots, because otherwise hosters and several services would be able to rent servers without our agreement. Because of this restriction they have to request a hoster license by @WolverinDEV.

WolverinDEV will answer your other questions as soon as possible.

Doctor Tree

But isnt, through the hosterprevention, there a limit again?
Arent annoying limits the reason Teaspeak exists at all?

In the future ther will be a change about this.
I also got this information by reading a conversation. Maybe i got something wrong while reading.
May WolverinDEV can give you more informations about this topic.

lukasjanra

well seems like, dont take me bad but "Because a license fee is not my cup of tea!" and still here if you want more than 254 slots you have to purchase license. What are limits there please? without license you can have only one virtual server and 32 slots. With NPL you can have 10 server 512 slots. How its there? Whats limit of virtual servers, cause Im giving free ts3 hosting and my max slots per server are 32 slots but I have many virtual servers.

WolverinDEV

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
Administrator
Hello,
1)
TeaSpeak isnt open source. Just the issue tracker is located on github.com​

2)
I dont know what do you mean by coded from a cratch, but i could tell you that i reversed the most by my self.​

3)
The maximum amouth of slots are 254.​
You're currently not able to increase this limit, even with a license.​
The limit of 254 slots are only for one virtual server. So you could create another virtual servr with 254 slots again.​
The TeaSpeak Server hasnt a virtual server limit, but i recommand not to host all TeaSpeaks over on instanse (remember: TeaSpeak is still in beta and could crash)​

4)
This is just an outdated fakt what i would remove from my webside soon. I thought about somethink like listen to other channels without they regonice that, but my moral says that this could break the general trust of privacy in all TeaSpeak-Servers.​

Last edited:

UltimateCoder

well seems like, dont take me bad but "Because a license fee is not my cup of tea!" and still here if you want more than 254 slots you have to purchase license ....
Thats exactly what I thought, when I first talked to him. IMHO this is complete bullshit talking about "Because a license fee is not my cup of tea!", but at the same time saying that you have to buy a license.

... 1) TeaSpeak is Open Source? ...
I asked him the same. He said it will not be open source, and he has also no plans to make this open source.

So in my honest opinion, there is currently no real benefit for switching from Tea*Speak to TeaSpeak. Since I am a prefessional software developer myself, I can say that all this work was not easy. But replace TeamSpeaks shitty license system with another shitty license system gives me no reason to replace Tea*Speak with TeaSpeak.

WolverinDEV

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
Administrator
well seems like, dont take me bad but "Because a license fee is not my cup of tea!" and still here if you want more than 254 slots you have to purchase license..
As i already mentioned. You cant expend the slots with a license. The slots are currently limited (hardcoded)!
You're currently not able to increase this limit, even with a license.
I would drop/increase this restriction when TeaSpeak is out of beta!

Leprechaun

Hello,
1)
TeaSpeak isnt open source. Just the issue tracker is located on github.com​

2)
I dont know what do you mean by coded from a cratch, but i could tell you that i reversed the most by my self.​

3)
The maximum amouth of slots are 254.​

You're currently not able to increase this limit, even with a license.​

The limit of 254 slots are only for one virtual server. So you could create another virtual servr with 254 slots again.​

The TeaSpeak Server hasnt a virtual server limit, but i recommand not to host all TeaSpeaks over on instanse (remember: TeaSpeak is still in beta and could crash)​

4)
This is just an outdated fakt what i would remove from my webside soon. I thought about somethink like listen to other channels without they regonice that, but my moral says that this could break the general trust of privacy in all TeaSpeak-Servers.​
1) Mmmh... Ok but if is not open why people should use TeaSpeak and not Mumble? Ok, is a VERY nice project because is most free than the original ts3 but you are not a "trusted" developer and your software run on my server, if you know what i mean

2) writed from scratch = writed from zero

3) Ok, thanks for the clarification :)

4) Yep, is better dont break the people trust... but is a nice feature :3
Ts3 is not an secure place for talk, people need to know where are secure place and insecure place for talk about personal question.

In any case, is legal this server? I think this is a little bit illegal xD
I don't care in any case :)

For now i have a NPL license for ts and i not need another server, this teaspeak is a emergency fallback in case of problem with license...

Last edited:

WolverinDEV

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
Administrator
1) Well what do you understand under "trusted" developer? If you want a little proof that TeaSpeak is shad ware free you could run a anti virus application.

4) Yep. Why do you think that TS3 ist a secure place? If you set your channel encryption flag to true i think its secure enough :D
Why should be this server illegal?
Im not stealing or coping code from Tea*Speak.
And you cant apply a patent on a protocol.
So the usage of TeaSpeak ist legal.

Last edited:

Leprechaun

1) Well what do you understand under "trusted" developer? If you want a little proof that TeaSpeak is shad ware free you could run a anti virus application.

4) Yep. Why do you think that TS3 ist a secure place? If you set your channel encryption flag to true i think its secure enough :D
Why should be this server illegal?
Im not stealing or coping code from Tea*Speak.
And you cant apply a patent on a protocol.
So the usage of TeaSpeak ist illegal.
1) AV is not a guarantee of clean file.
In any case you can put inside the code a backdoor to the host server.
I'm not accusing you, I'm just thinking cautiously.

4) TS3 is closed source, for me if the source code isnt avaiable the software is NOT secure at 100%
For the legal question, reverse TS3 is not legal, is in the eula.
I think Tea*Speak have a proprietary protocol, or not?

WolverinDEV

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
Administrator
1) I could understand you :) But you have that little risk at every non open source software.

2)
Yes TS3 is closed source. To reverse something is legal (if you're just using it for private purposes)
But, the TeaSpeak 3 Protocol is barley documents since 2010 so its not illegal to use a protocol which may be equal.
As a little reminder: TeaSpeak isnt a Tea*Speak 3 Server "fake" its a compleatly new project just with TS3 support!

Leprechaun

1) I could understand you :) But you have that little risk at every non open source software.

2)
Yes TS3 is closed source. To reverse something is legal (if you're just using it for private purposes)
But, the TeaSpeak 3 Protocol is barley documents since 2010 so its not illegal to use a protocol which may be equal.
As a little reminder: TeaSpeak isnt a Tea*Speak 3 Server "fake" its a compleatly new project just with TS3 support!
1) Yep, but is not a bad idea if in future teaspeak become open source, i hope in one future with ALL software open.
More safety and much good software for all...

2) I hope it is as you say

In any case, good luck for the project! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.