• Hey Guest, we're evolving the future of TeaSpeak.
    You're invited to join the discussion here!

Information The future of TeaSpeak

WolverinDEV

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
Administrator
I disagree. The issue with the other mentioned company is not the price of the license or the license itself, but how hard it is to get one license to re-sell the voice servers. @WolverinDEV doesn't mind how your site looks, what people uses, how much do you have in balance and other futile data in order to you set up a server with his software. If he charges every reseller, he will get a part of the profit and that could be a potential factor to make the software more attractive to new users (read: more users, more income. More income, more time to develop/more development. More development, more users... More users, more income). The price of course could be significantly lower than the fore mentioned company but still it could be profitable if managed correctly.
Yeahr you're right. Even though I'll may charge for using the product, I'll definable do a lot of things different as I'm already doing.
The point of the income itself is a really, lets call it "interesting" thing.
There are several things which have to be taken into account.
  1. Is the income sustainable or will it be only high enough some months?
    If it's not sustainable it's more or less worth nothing on the long term and you're facing the same situation again in a few months, expect that you've less.... you've gave up your job, but now you're facing some finical issues. So it will be even worse...

2. The appropriate minimal amount
    Saying that somebody requires a fixed min monthly revenue is easy, but when it comes to numbers it gets hard.
    I'll not talk about my personal numbers here, but you can estimate that I would need at least three times the donations I currently receive to being able to living from them beside studying.
    For building up a company, especially when hiring somebody, you can imagine it would be even higher (btw. having TeaSpeak running as a company running would be absolutely amazing for me :D)

You just need to set the price for 1 slot at $0.01 per month and then your income will be about $1000 per month. I think it's a fair price.
HAHA Well I love the naive approach but that's not done so easy.
First of all, at least I, want to still offer something like a free version for non commercial use, so you've to subtract these.
Secondly not all of them using the TeaClient.... You can think through the rest by your self^^

Talking about what and how much he should be charging people isn’t up to us if you ask me...
(y) Yes it's not as you totally correctly stated.
But this does not implies that they shouldn't do.
Maybe they've some amazing ideas which I've not yet came up with ;)

now keeping in mind of what was told in the first post here...
I see people complaining about stuff that isn’t yet possible or ready to use, but they expect everything to be free... (look at it trough a developers view: you’ve spend an enormous amount of spare time into developing something, including personal money) wouldn’t that just be saying fuck you developer I want that sh*t for free?
What? I though it was like the "free" in freelancer :p
No you're absolutely right and tbh this is an attitude which drives me crazy (not actually I'm more likely ignoring these people).

what I suggest for those who would like to help out...
Make a post (preferably in the right forum section that prolly needs to be added first)
Where you discribe what you are able to in Theems of coding/programming..
What eventually could lead to a good candidate for wolv...
I actually had already something similar like this (https://forum.teaspeak.de/index.php?threads/be-part-of-the-teaparty.890/)
Yes this topic is from 2018, but I'd featured it 'till the middle 2019..... Nobody (in terms of development) "called back"....
But you're giving me an idea, I should may send a broadcast mail to all registered forum members.
This would a) awake the members who forgot about TeaSpeak and b) would di

WolverinDEV

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
Administrator
I just want TeaSpeak to be self-sufficient and independent of the competition. All you need to do is make TeaClient the best app of its kind.
Yes I totally agree here.
I'l already trying my best and the client greatly improved, especially the web client.
PS: Sending links and having the client directly join got really easy.

just make using teaspeak with a monthly premium so any one who want to use it must have premium license
i know you started it as free version. i was here since your first version of teaspeak( i remember it wont last 1 hours of running :) )
now its good and stable so it need to be profitable. you giving your time for it so it MUST have profit for you
Oh no back in the old days :D
Fun fact: Since than I've most likely recorded and reworked everything, except two things (which btw sometimes really break my neck^^):
1) The virtual server management (that's btw why stopping the server while having ppl on them crashes the instance sometimes)
2) The internal client hierarchy and management (especially when it comes to the query client...).

PS: I really appreciate all you heart warming support and suggestions :love: :heart::tea: (except some who have missed the point of the topic^^)
I've not expected such rich responses!

Kevinos

Fanatic member
Premium User
One idea that can be interesting too is google Adsense on your site to get started.

Me when I had my site with the server, I had 1200-1500 € per month just with 1000 visitors per day.

For example you can also include advertising on teaweb for non-premium users.

It is not an income, but it is already good to receive 1k€ on your account. :)

Capture d’écran 2020-09-16 140532.png

otalportista

Fanatic member
One idea that can be interesting too is google Adsense on your site to get started.

Me when I had my site with the server, I had 1200-1500 € per month just with 1000 visitors per day.

For example you can also include advertising on teaweb for non-premium users.

It is not an income, but it is already good to receive 1k€ on your account. :)

View attachment 2940
Yeah it's good idea i think, and monthly teaspeak have much visiots per day as in the forum and as in the main site

Kami

can i suggest something ?

it would be nice if we can generate more querry accounts with limited permissions.

like if
serveradmin is root
serveradmin2 = can only create 10 virtual servers with 128slots etc

Would be so nice, because i still can't find a good web panel..

shinzoke

can i suggest something ?

it would be nice if we can generate more querry accounts with limited permissions.

like if
serveradmin is root
serveradmin2 = can only create 10 virtual servers with 128slots etc

Would be so nice, because i still can't find a good web panel..
With all respect towards you... but if you can’t code a single thing as simple as copy paste api lines from teaspeak/Tea*Speak... why the hell would you want multiple “hosting” accounts? Would you even notice if I bypass/hack your service then?

in the forums here are more then enough webportal platforms for hosting... use those if you can’t code yourself but still want to make profit out of this free to use software ;)

zumoshi

One option to generate income would be to create something like ATHP. A map with teaspeak host providers that support the project marked on it. I think it may be better than generic advertisement since it's related and opens the way for higher tier supporters than just premium.

And it would be worth to them because they are making money of this project and rather than normal donation they could get exposure and maybe even be given more priority for their feature requests.

As for the original question, while option 3 could potencially reduce the time cost of maintenance, it is understandable that you may find it hard to just give years of your efforts away and lose control over it. I would only suggest going the FOSS way if you decided you can't afford to maintain it anymore. I thank you for considering it at all and it increases my faith in the future of the project to know that, if you, for any reason in the future failed to continue maintaining it, teaspeak will live on as an opensource project.

I'm against option one because as mentioned by others it goes against its motto. But then I wasn't the one who spent years working on it. You have the right to do what you feel is the right way.

It might be a good idea regarding option two, to post some code snippets or recent challenges you faced while working on the project to pique the interest of prospective developers . Or maybe a list of resources you found useful while learning yourself to appeal to other young future coders that have extra time on their hand and would appreciate a mentor in exchange for helping maintain this project.

Regardless of which option you end up going with, I thank you for your work so far.

dension

Premium User
Hi,

First, sorry for my terrible English. ;)

I am among the first to become an official partner of TeaSpeak. We have also translated to hungarian language the website and the client, and we are constantly supporting the project financially.

It is a bitter experience that, several service providers market TeaSpeak without supporting it in any way.

My suggestions:
- only licensed service providers should be entitled to resell TeaSpeak as a service,
- be accompanied by a license key and be required to maintain a partner premium account or even an individual reseller premium account,
- an individual user can still use the service free of charge, but with a limit on the number of servers (eg 1 virtual server), an IP address limit (one installation per IP address) and a maximum slot limit (the maximum slot must be defined not per virtual server but per installed server, e.g. : 80 slots / installation).

Compatibility with the other system is a good thing, although not very efficient on a commercial level (just a few reports, even though you have valid Tea*Speak license, you get IP bans because you use TeaServer), instead develop TeaClient that is compatible with Tea * Speak servers (cloud-based Favorites storage wich is connected to Forum account, ID and Favorites import from the Tea * Speak client with one click etc.).

This is when it can be realized that you can generate revenue that can even trigger WolverinDEV’s current search activity.

Either way WolverinDEV choose, SilveHost will continue to stand by and support you.

The prejudice should primarily be dispelled that TeaSpeak is a broken Tea * Speak server which is illegal.

Bestregards,
dension

M4T14SG4M3R

From my point of view the most annoying part of TeaSpeak is that the other company blacklist the TeaSpeak servers for no reason, i had to change at least 15 times the ip address of my instance, if you can fix that, i would be okay to pay a monthly fee or a license for using TeaSpeak

otalportista

Fanatic member
From my point of view the most annoying part of TeaSpeak is that the other company blacklist the TeaSpeak servers for no reason, i had to change at least 15 times the ip address of my instance, if you can fix that, i would be okay to pay a monthly fee or a license for using TeaSpeak
TeaSpeak != Tea*Speak.

javatoad

I see a few issues here:

1- I'ts is advertised as open source, but there will be no way to open source the server/client( and actually that's the reason it is not). As soon as the server is open sourced, the other company will sue it. I don't want to start an argue about if TeaSpeak is not Tea*Speak, decompiling, etc, but the people involved know what's going on.
2- There's only one reason why most of TeaSpeak users host it, and it's because it's free. That's a fact and the amount of "premium" users will be extremely low.
3- Keeping it close source and start selling licenses will be a red flag for the other company. All these years the devs spent developing TeaSpeak will be wasted.

I wish that there would be an open source alternative without license dependencies but this is what it is. The only future of TeaSpeak is to at least keep the server side close source and not get profit of licenses.

StarTSB

Ich wünschte ein Deutsch-Sprachriger User würde mir mal helfen. Ich hatte im deutschen Support angefragt aber da scheint niemand zu antworten. :)

WolverinDEV

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
Administrator
Ich wünschte ein Deutsch-Sprachriger User würde mir mal helfen. Ich hatte im deutschen Support angefragt aber da scheint niemand zu antworten. :)
Ahh, yeah the chat boxes are bugged.
If you're still having issues send me a PM ;)

Digitizer221

Premium User
If you want to keep it closed loop but prevent it from being used as sales which might get the other company to do something, I can probably help fund the project.

HellMind

Tea must be the most FOSS that it can, maybe starting with the client, avoiding every legal issue. Maybe having a closed source plugin option to allow to connect to others company servers. This way you can get help from the open source community and introduce them to tea.

The future is FOSS, so you must use it in your favor.
But the top priority I know is to continue serving tea. So we need a business method that motivate the use of tea to make it the most popular.

1.-Introduce as you said some social sh*t but FOSS, as mastodon, (to compite with discord, eventually people will be tired of having that enormous client)

2.-Licensing per slots, I think it should not be any free version, we can lower the slots price almost to be free. This way you simplify everything. Because the problem is not people making money from it, they are promoting tea more than anyone. You must treat every person the same. Everything cost. Reseller can offer free slots server if hey want to promote its business. Resellers will give your most resources. You can release a small tea lite version for those that want everything free. Or you can put some ads on a free version.

3.-In order to be more invulnerable to any legal restriction, I know they will come for tea, tea must adopt a BTC.

My apologies for my rustic English

WolverinDEV

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
Administrator
Hey,
I've not forgot you all and just as a small update I've planned of going some kind of the first way.
I'm currently working on a huge update which will bring animated images, captures by your screen or camera, to TeaSpeak; I'll leave it for you, what this means.

heartles39

Fanatic member
Hey,
I've not forgot you all and just as a small update I've planned of going some kind of the first way.
I'm currently working on a huge update which will bring animated images, captures by your screen or camera, to TeaSpeak; I'll leave it for you, what this means.
Premium license fee can be reduced. So if anyone can get licenses, it's good for Teaspeak.