• Hey Guest, we're evolving the future of TeaSpeak.
    You're invited to join the discussion here!

Server Databases

eduardoroeder

Fanatic member
Premium User
Hey, I had an incident earlier this week in which the default sqlite DB got corrupted and had to rollback to an earlier one... The backups some of them were corrupted aswell, since I basically copy the sqlite file with the WAL+SHM files, yet it didn't quite work in the first place. Already fixed it and it is not the main focus on this thread, just a context.

I'm wondering how easy is to migrate the same database to a MySQL DB or even a PostGresSQL DB. Can anyone guide it through it? I already know how to dump SQLITE into SQL and then load into a new MySQL database, but the issue is how to do it in TeaSpeak server configurations. I've seen that some people recommend starting the server on a blank MySQL DB and then waiting until the voice server creates the default tables. Then dump the content of the sqlite and import only the content (not the scheme) into the MySQL tables. Is it the correct way to do it?

And also, how would TeaServer work when upgrading the database itself? Will it create and manage tables itself?

This would also make a new issue: how many queries to the DB TeaSpeak do per minute and how much is the acceptable ping between the TeaServer host and the DB host would be? This is because im thinking on splitting those two so that I can have lets say one DB machine for multiple locations of TeaServer software sharing the same MySQL Server (not database itself, but the server), and if something goes wrong with the TeaServer the database doesn't get corrupted aswell.

Also, in the MySQL/PostGreSQL setup, is there a problem when dumping the database into a backupfile, is the backup be ready to use when loaded back into the production database?

Back to SQLite, anyone can share which method you guys use to backup your servers? I actually run 3x/day a backup that contains the sqlite/WAL/SHM, protoco_key, configs and the files directory. Then after each backup I do a dump of a snapshot of every active server if I need to revert a server individually.

Willing to change the way I backup the files to a incremental backup since my files backup actually have grown up to 1.5gb per backup (500mb the database itself).

And for last but not least: which database you hosters use? The default? MySQL? Tell us

Thanks for the attention.

eduardoroeder

Fanatic member
Premium User
Can't read @BIOS? Please, if you are a STAFF MEMBER you should address stuff as a STAFF MEMBER, not a copy paste.

I already told in the main post that I already know how to migrate the database itself, but not configure Tea to use the target databases (sqlite uses a file, mysql uses either a socket or a server/port/username/password). Also, this is not the only thing asked here, so if you do have experience please guide me/us.

Off topic: this is why communities trend to grow into a nice and good followers and after a while it goes down dramastically. The people in charge (aka staff) just pretend everybody know everything and any decent question can be answered without actually answering. I'm not the first one to ask it here and probably will not be the last one, but if you had actually a guide onto doing this (or answering decently instead of pasting the same link in different threads), it would aggregate into the community itself. Your answer is worse than one-line spammers or C&P spammers that appears once in a while.

Thanks

BIOS

TeaSpeak Team
Staff member
TeaTeam
Can't read @BIOS? Please, if you are a STAFF MEMBER you should address stuff as a STAFF MEMBER, not a copy paste.

I already told in the main post that I already know how to migrate the database itself, but not configure Tea to use the target databases (sqlite uses a file, mysql uses either a socket or a server/port/username/password). Also, this is not the only thing asked here, so if you do have experience please guide me/us.

Off topic: this is why communities trend to grow into a nice and good followers and after a while it goes down dramastically. The people in charge (aka staff) just pretend everybody know everything and any decent question can be answered without actually answering. I'm not the first one to ask it here and probably will not be the last one, but if you had actually a guide onto doing this (or answering decently instead of pasting the same link in different threads), it would aggregate into the community itself. Your answer is worse than one-line spammers or C&P spammers that appears once in a while.

Thanks
sorry i wrote a guide with my mobile phone which of course is not the easiest thing to do if you've tried it. but i think i answered your questions there in the tutorial as best as possible.

check: https://forum.teaspeak.de/index.php?threads/sqlite3-to-mariadb-mysql.3352/

eduardoroeder

Fanatic member
Premium User
Thanks for the tutorial @BIOS. But in the end, it is only a rewrite from the github script to explain how to copy the data itself. There is no orientation relating the configuration of TeaSpeak to actually connect to the MYSQL db.

The other points about the database server would be really important when deciding to do this migration, so I think that @WolverinDEV experience would be valuable in this discussion.